Pressburger Bahn

Uncategorized


in German: Pressburgerbahn, Lokalbahn Wien-Pressburg (L.W.P.),
in Hungarian: Pozsony Országhatárszeli Helyiérdekú Villamos Vasút (P.O.H.É.V.),
in Slovak: Elektrická lokálna železnica Bratislava- krajinská hranica (BKH), colloquialism: Viedenská električka

was a direct train connection of Vienna and Pressburg (after 1919 Bratislava) which officially begun to operate to on February 5th 1914. The original route of 69,1 kilometres lead via Schwechat, Hainburg and Wolfsthal as well as through suburbs of that time and nowadays a city part of Petržalka / Pozsonyligetfalu / Engerau directly into the center of Bratislava. This route is today followed by the S7 line of the Viennese S-Bahn which ends at Wolfsthal.

Postcard “Deutsch Altenburg” with station Kopčany (which belonged to the Pressburg’s part of the route ), where the locomotives of direct and alternating traction. were changed.

Old Pressburg citizens remembered buying fruit and vegetables at Naschmarkt, where they could also meet sellers from Záhorie which brought their good on carriages via Marchegg. 

bus stop commemorating the fact to be on the same spot as one of the stops of Pressburgerbahn.

bus stop commemorating the fact to be on the same spot as one of the stops of Pressburgerbahn.

route of the Pressburgerbahn

Wikipedia article available both in German and Slovak (and Czech):
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressburger_Bahn

fb fanpage, mostly in Slovak, with regular updates on restoration of the train, its stops, etc:https://www.facebook.com/viedenskaelektricka?fref=ts